Karma for Cara Foundation awards microgrants to youths 18 years of age and younger who spearhead exceptional service projects in their communities. 16 year old microgrant recipient Tamaya from Georgia used her award to serve seniors and disabled members of her community by planning a day of elegance for them. Tamaya and the Thomaston Housing Authority Youth Advisory Council hosted more than 60 attendees aged 55 years and older for their first ever Senior Prom.
- How many people participated in your service project? 45
- How many hours did you and other participants spend on the project? Varied because of the event. Different individuals handled different component of the event.
- What did you learn from this experience? The results of working together as a team.
- How will your project continue having an impact in the future? It was an awesome event from beginning to end, and the community was so appreciative. After the event one of the attendees came to us and expressed how much this event meant to her. She stated, “You all don’t know how much this meant to me to be able to attend a Prom. It meant so much to me because when I was in high school, I was not able to attend my prom. This fulfilled a lifelong wish. I loved it; and it was so beautiful. Thank you.” The communities around us have mentioned how awesome this event was, and we are already hearing whispers about next year’s prom. Being able to share our event in the local newspaper and on social media was an opportunity to let people know that “young people” can make a positive impact in their community.
- Overall, summarize how your project was completed and how you think it went. The youth advisory council president and vice president worked consistently for a month, organizing and designing the event. The adult advisors were busy getting partners to keep the expenses down. As a whole, the group worked diligently together to pull off an approximately $5,000.00 event for about $1,500.00.
- How was the Karma for Cara microgrant helpful in the completion of your project? Without the Karma for Cara microgrant we would not have been able to pull this together and maintain the quality and magnitude of the event. It was an awesome event. The community continues to rave about the quality of the event. It was stellar!