14 year old Abbey used her Karma for Cara microgrant to assemble 65 dental care kits & deliver them to the current residents at Place of Hope Children’s Shelter in Florida. When Abbey was 11, she founded her own non-profit Hygiene for the Hopeful so she had experience with providing dental & other personal care kits to children prior to this project.
- How many people participated in your service project? Three: myself, my mom and dad.
- How many hours did you and other participants spend on the project?
Six – Between getting the grant, shopping, packaging and delivering donations.
- What did you learn from this experience? I learned if you want to accomplish something, find a way. I knew I always wanted to do this project but my parents never had the extra money. So I went online and found the money. This may not seem like a huge accomplishment however, at 14 to find a company that will give you money based on an idea was so amazing to me. I learned that if you have a vision and can’t do it on your own find others who can help.
- How will your project continue having an impact in the future? We gave the gift out of personal respect to these kids. We taught them that taking care of yourself is important. Also that there are other people who care about them in the world. I feel this will instill in the kids that taking care of your teeth is taking care of your future. Also it will show adults if a 14 year old can help, they can too!
- Overall, summarize how your project was completed and how you think it went. Even though the grant took forever (my parent’s ran into some serious personal problems) it taught me to not give up! “Anything worth doing isn’t easy!” The delay taught me to stay focused and do what you can a little at a time until you accomplish your goals! I had to keep pushing until we got it done, so I learned even more by the delay.
- How was the Karma for Cara microgrant helpful in the completion of your
project? I could have never done this without your help. My parents just don’t have the extra
money. Because you chose to take a chance on a 14 year old shows me that there are others in the world who care and can help! I just need to get out there and find a way!